Sunday, July 26, 2009

Albert Street Deli

Location: 478 Albert St, East Melbourne
Cuisine: Café, Quick Lunches

Located a little off the intersection of Nicholson, Albert, Lonsdale and Spring Streets, is a little café aptly named 'Albert Street Deli'. More like a miniature food court, the cafe has three main counters: a patisserie, a sandwich/roll counter and a hot food stand.

I dropped into this place a few times during my work experience up that end of town and found that most of the food there wasn't all that great, apart from the soup. The pumpkin soup there was one of the best I have ever had, and at a very cheap price too! For $6.50, you can get a large bowl of hot steaming soup, with a fairly large buttered roll. An awesome comfort food in the middle of freezing winter!


Pumpkin soup with buttered roll

There's barely any waiting time as the soup sits heated in the counter window. The service is okay, at times abrupt, but at such a cheap price, I went back and had this soup three times in two weeks!

Overall Impression: 9.5/10 [for soup only]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to go there but stopped when I was ripped off by one of the staff. The food is OK and most of the staff are nice but some of the staff will try to short change you given half a chance, be especially careful of Helen. She will try to distract you with small talk whilst she short changes you. I gave her a $50.00 and she gave me change as if I had given her a $20.00, and I didn't realise until later. Also another time previously, another staff member tried to do the same thing and I picked it up that time and told her that I had definitely given her a $50.00, so that time did get the correct change. It works of worse for them in the end as I will never go there again if I can't even trust them not to rip me off-they have lost my custom. There are plenty of other decent cafes nearby where they don't try to rip you off. Bad show guys!